Monday, 12 June 2017

Going Shampoo Free - 'No Poo' #1

(x)
So I've decided that it's time to embark on a journey that I've wanted to take for quite some time, which I've now made sound way more epic than the reality, to go shampoo free. And before you read on, I want to clarify what shampoo free/no poo actually means.

What does Shampoo Free mean?
The No Poo movement essentially means that you don't use shampoo to wash your hair. That's all. Whether you decide to use alternatives such as baking powder and apple cider vinegar, or you just go for water, the no poo lifestyle is all about washing your hair without conventional chemical shampoos. Some decide to go for organic natural shampoos instead, as the change to no shampoo can be a bit harsh and it doesn't always work for everyone. To clarify, No Poo means you still wash and brush your hair, you just don't use conventional shampoo to do it. So, away with the misconceptions of smelly, dirty hair. The transition period will likely be a bit on the greasy side, but other than that, I'm pretty sure it's a sound option for hair care.

So, why do it?
For me, I am intrigued by living as much of a zero impact lifestyle as I can. And although there is so much more I can do, every little step counts right? I'm also very curious to see the effect no poo has on my scalps oil production. I get so irritated when my hair gets greasy so fast, and I know from experience that my hair becomes so much less oily when I don't shampoo it as often. I've managed to get my washing routine to every three days before and I'd love to be able to get it up to 5, without the use of shampoo either.

There's also the fact that it feels so much more natural to use natural products on our body and hair. Why spend so much on chemical shampoo if there are cheaper, natural alternatives? I love a good challenge and I love trying new things, so I am excited to try this, albeit a little apprehensive.

I'll be updating periodically, I'm not sure if that'll be weekly or what, but I've write down everything I'm doing and not doing to my hair over this time period. Wish me luck! And, please, if you've done it, or if you want to join me on this journey, please comment and let me know your experiences!

-x-

Exceptionally oily scalp.
Week 1: I'm definitely seeing and feeling the oil build up. I know that this is natural and I'm persevering through the awkward, not so great 'transitional phase'. So far I haven't used anything but water, which I spent a few minutes massaging into my scalp with my fingers. It didn't seem to do much for the oil. So I'm considering using baking soda and apple cider vinegar soon, as I'm off to France tomorrow and I don't want to have extremely noticeable yucky hair while I'm away. I've seen it recommended that I invest in a bristle brush to comb the oil into the lower parts of my hair.

Not great.


0 comments:

Post a Comment